3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup low sodium chicken broth 1 3/4 cups milk
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
1 pound whole-wheat pasta shells or corkscrews
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
The vitamin C and beta-carotene in butternut squash helps reduce the e ects of asthma.
Creamy Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
1/2 cup servings
• Preheat oven to 375F
• Combine squash, broth, milk and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a gentle boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, approximately 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
• Place hot squash mixture in food processor
or blender. Add Greek yogurt and puree until smooth. Remove lid, add cheddar, pecorino and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and puree until cheese is melted and combined.
• Add squash mixture to the cooked pasta and stir until combined. Spread mixture evenly into a lightly greased 13x9-baking dish.
• Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add panko and cook until golden brown, approx 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in remaining Parmesan cheese and sprinkle evenly on top of the hot pasta mixture.
• Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from heat, allow slightly cooling; and topping with fresh parsley